Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Steampunk Musings Pt. 5: The Steampunk Buddha

There has never been a better time to love steampunk than right now.


The internet as a whole and particularly Etsy have made it possible for anyone with the passion and technical skills to build a career making steampunk art. Within a few hours of roaming the internet you'll find more steampunk stuff than you'll ever be able to afford, and if you're anything like me, you'll want everything you see.

Out of all the things I've seen during my journey through the land of steampunk, the one I want most is a steampunk teddy bear created by today's guest, The Steampunk Buddha. 

As you can imagine, I was thrilled when she agreed to do this interview.

Please give The Steampunk Buddha a warm welcome!

1. How did you discover steampunk?

My husband and I like a lot of Sci-Fi movies so we were never strangers to Steampunk really. A lot of horror movies have Steampunk under tones. Frankenstein, is an example of the mixture of horror and steampunk styles we create. I think between the two of us, we just sort of fell in love with the Steampunk look and style when we moved to the town that we live in now, and saw the full-size replica of the Ezekiel Airship.

2. Why do you think steampunk has grown so popular over the last few years?

I think as technology progresses, a lot of us want to see some of the older styles come back. Seeing the inner workings of a watch for instance, seems way more interesting than looking at a circuit board and wires.

3. What inspired you to start creating steampunk jewelry/art?

As I stated before, when we moved to our town and saw the Ezekiel Airship, we were very inspired. I have a very unique style and have a hard time finding jewelry that suits my preferences. I've always been creative and made my own items, and costumes.

4. How long does it typically take to create a piece?

I spend at least an hour on each design or picture. I double dome all of the necklaces with resin which takes 2 days. In all, each necklace takes around 3 days to make. The Teddy Bears and Hats take around 5 days to make.

5. Out of all the steampunk pieces you've created, which one is your favorite?


My favorite Steampunk necklace that I've made is the Steampunk Mermaid necklace that has gears floating up from here like bubbles. I also really like the little faux metal bookshelf hat.

6. Who's your favorite steampunk artist?

Each artist has their own personal style, so I can't put down one personal favorite, but I do really like the darker Steampunk styles.


7. Are you working on anything exciting right now?

We are currently working on adding steampunk lamps, light fixtures, and more to the shop.

Check out The Steampunk Buddha today!

Do you have a favorite steampunk artist you'd like to see featured here? Let me know about them in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment